Hi! I'm Laurie Marschall, owner and founder of Lakama Luxury Travel.
I'm glad you're here!
A little about me...... After a successful 30 year career in the corporate world, working my way up the ranks in varied sales, marketing and service roles, I decided to change course and become a small business owner.
Why a travel agency owner?
Having lived in Germany, Switzerland and Hong Kong for 12 years as a child, travel has been part of my being since a very young age. 6 continents, 43 countries, 40 states and counting... My own stories and travel adventures have been amazing, soul-stirring, transformational. I'd love to share what I know to help you bring back your own amazing stories.
Another part of my 'Why' - a lesson learned during my corporate career: Understanding how important it is to take time away from every day stresses through travel. While working my way "up" the ladder, in my mind, time off simply meant more work would be waiting when I returned, so why bother? Later in my career I realized just how energizing and mentally stimulating an amazing trip was. A different venue and time away from the day to day grind cleared the tired mind and actually helped me accomplish more. A win-win for everyone. I still remember my 3 week trip to New Zealand. The vacation "buzz" lasted about 5 months!
Whether you are active in the corporate world, your own business or a busy retiree, an amazing trip does wonders for your soul and well being.
These 'Whys', combined with the skills learned in my various sales, marketing and service roles, gave me the foundation to launch my own agency. Today, I have the privilege of helping you experience your own soul stirring moments and bring home equally amazing and memorable stories.
It would be a pleasure to be your trusted travel advisor.
And a few fun facts .....
- My paternal grandparents emigrated to the US from Germany in the 1920's, and I'm fortunate to still be in contact with my German relatives. It's always fun visiting them - learning new things about both my grandfather's and grandmother's sides of the family. My Mom's heritage is Dutch and Scottish, with relatives emigrating to the US as far back as the late 1600's. Finding these relatives may require a bit more research!
- I am fairly fluent in German - a bit rusty from lack of practice but I can hold my own!
- I went to kindergarten and also learned how to ski in Switzerland.
- I know how to count 1-10 in 5 languages including Chinese, the only words I still remember from my time in Hong Kong.
- 1986 - my first cruise, through Alaska's Inside Passage. I still love being out on the water, through I much prefer smaller ships and river cruises now over bigger ships. Once you've experienced them you never look back.
- #1 on my bucket list - Antarctica - booked for 2022. #2 - Galapagos and #3 - Africa.
- Collecting passport stamps and photographs are my most treasured souvenirs!
- People are wondering what the exotic meaning is behind my business name. I could come up with a fancy story, but in reality, LAKAMA is simply an acronym of my name - LA (Laurie) KA (Katherine) MA (Marschall).